A one-year maintenance/warranty comes with the purchase of new FARO® manufactured hardware products. Supplemental Service Plans are also available at additional cost. See Appendix D: FARO Service Policy for further details.
FARO HARDWARE UNDER MAINTENANCE / WARRANTY
The following is a summary of what services can be obtained under the original warranty or Supplemental Service Plan.
- Factory repairs on FARO-manufactured hardware products at any FARO Service Center.
- Factory repairs are targeted for completion within 7 (FaroArms and Laser Line Probe), 14 (Laser Trackers and Laser Scanners), or 10 (3D Imagers) working days of FARO’s receipt of the defective item. The customer is responsible for returning the hardware to a FARO Service Center in the original packing container or custom case.
- FARO will return the hardware via 2 day service within the continental United States. Outside the continental United States, FARO will return the hardware to the customs broker via 2 day service. Expedited service can be arranged at the customer’s expense.
- Upon expiration of the original warranty, a Supplemental Service Plan may be purchased and renewed on an annual basis for any FARO-manufactured hardware products as long as material and resources are available.
- All Supplemental Service Plans will be due for renewal one year and one day from the day the FARO-manufactured hardware is shipped from FARO.
- Please contact FARO Customer Service to transfer the warranty. The original warranty and Supplemental Service Plans are transferable to subsequent owners under the following conditions:
- The product is currently under the original warranty and Supplemental Service Plan.
- The new owner is, or becomes, a certified user.
- FARO Customer Service is informed of and approves the transfer.
Upon approval by FARO Customer Service, the new owner will receive a FARO Transfer of Original Warranty or Service Plan agreement form executed by FARO.
- Replacement parts used for repair may be new, refurbished, or contain refurbished materials.
FARO HARDWARE NOT UNDER MAINTENANCE / WARRANTY
Factory assessments and repairs on FARO-manufactured products will follow the following procedure:
- The customer obtains a service number from FARO’s customer Service Department.
- The customer ships the product to a FARO Service Center with the service number on the label along with payment or a corporate purchase order for system testing and evaluation, which includes compensation and calibration.
- The payment will be applied toward the total service cost beyond the initial payment. The estimated repair cost will be given to the customer prior to the repair. The total cost must be paid prior to beginning the service.
- The customer is responsible for all shipping charges to and from FARO, including import and export fees for international customers.
- FARO will continue to repair FARO-manufactured hardware products as long as material and resources are available.
- Replacement parts used for repair may be new, refurbished, or contain refurbished materials.
FARO’s warranty may differ depending on the Software you are utilizing. Please consult your software warranty or contact FARO customer service to determine the warranty conditions for your particular software.
HARDWARE & SOFTWARE TRAINING
FARO’s training program is designed to instruct trainees in the operation of FARO’s hardware and software, which the customer has purchased. The training classes are set up for each trainee to obtain valuable hands on application exposure. This will help the trainees in their everyday use of the hardware and software. FARO also feels that once the trainee completes the training, finding solutions to problems or applying applications will be simpler. Details are as follows:
- The training class will prepare attendees to successfully attain an operator’s certification (see Certification Requirements section below for more details).
- The fee schedules for advanced additional training courses can be obtained from Customer Service, or the Sales department.
An operator’s inherent ability to understand 3D concepts may be in their background training. However, the precision with which the operator performs 3D measurements with the product is critical in establishing the accuracy and repeatability of the results of subsequent measurements.
In order to establish the proficiency of operators, FARO has instituted an Operator Certification program, wherein each operator’s knowledge and understanding of the product is evaluated. The successful operator is awarded a certificate which identifies him/her as an accredited operator of the product. The requirements are as follows:
- Attend a FARO-conducted basic training course, either at a FARO Facility or on site at your facility.
- Certification will be awarded once the class has been completed, and then the certified user will be registered for hardware and software support.
To certify an operator, please contact your local FARO office.
REPAIR FEE SCHEDULE
(Out of Warranty/Maintenance Owners Only!)
System Testing and Evaluation Fee – Contact your local FARO Service Center for pricing.
A fee is charged for any system testing and evaluation. This includes system diagnosis, compensation and calibration, and applies to all FARO-manufactured hardware. However, this fee does not include disassembly/repair costs if required. An estimated cost for disassembly/repair will be given to the customer prior to the repair. The disassembly/repair charges must be paid in full prior to the actual disassembly/repair. However, if no repairs are needed the fee will be applied to the cost of system testing and evaluation. All evaluations contain calibration. Recertification will be performed on an “as needed” basis.
Contact your local FARO Service Center for the current system testing and evaluation fee pricing.
This Service Plan (hereinafter, the “Plan”) is part of the Operating Manual for the FARO manufactured product purchased from FARO TECHNOLOGIES, INC. (hereafter, “FARO”). The Plan and all of the optional additions, are subject to the conditions in Appendices A, B, & C, and are subject to change at any time. This appendix refers to FARO’s service plans as written in the sales advertising literature, and is meant to provide additional details that the literature does not provide.
- The purchase of the Plan shall occur with the purchase of the FARO products.
- The Plan shall apply to systems exclusively created or authored by FARO.
- The Plan shall include FARO product hardware only, and cannot be extended or transferred through the sale of any part of the system to a third party unless the entire system has been sold or transferred.
- The Plan shall not cover Hardware or Software which has been subjected to misuse or intentional damage. FARO reserves the right to determine the condition of all returned Hardware and/or Software.
- FARO shall determine the service method and contractor to service/repair all hardware which is not directly manufactured by FARO. All outside contractor terms and conditions are available from FARO and are incorporated herein by reference.
- FARO shall not be responsible for any non-FARO authored software which inhibits the operation of the system. Furthermore the Plan will not cover the re-installation of any software.
- The Hardware and Software are subject to changes in design, manufacture, and programming. All updates are as follows:
- Hardware – The product subject to this manual and all of the associated optional parts, including the Computer, are not subject to updates.
- Software – All computer programs, authored by FARO, which are used in conjunction with the FARO provided Hardware, will be updated in accordance with a particular update plan specific to the software.
- 3rd Party software – All computer programs not authored by FARO will not be updated under the Plan. The purchaser is responsible for the acquisition of all 3rd party software updates and warranty service or claims.
- In the event that FARO replaces any product or replacement product, FARO retains all right, title and interest in and to all products or portions of products that were replaced by FARO.
- “FARO” means FARO TECHNOLOGIES, INC.
- “Purchaser” means the party buying the Product and who is legally obligated hereunder.
- “Product” means the FARO-manufactured product subject to this manual, the Software, operating manuals and any other product or merchandise sold pursuant to the Order. If the Purchaser is buying only the FARO-manufactured product subject to this manual, or the Software, Product will mean the product being purchased by the Purchaser pursuant to the Order.
- “System” means a combination of the FARO-manufactured product subject to this manual, optional parts associated therewith, the Software, and the Computer.
- “Hardware” means FARO-manufactured product subject to this manual and all associated optional parts, and the Computer if provided by FARO.
- “Software” means all computer programs, authored by FARO, which are used in conjunction with the FARO provided Hardware.
The following is a layman’s definition of the coverage.
STANDARD SERVICE PLANS
- All shipping times below are to destinations within the continental United States. Outside the continental U.S., FARO will ship equipment directly to the customs broker.
- Standard Service Plans are contracted at time of purchase or at any time while a unit is covered by a FARO hardware service plan (as described in more detail later).
- The Standard Service Plan covers the Product.
- Shipping costs, including insurance from the Purchaser to FARO are the responsibility of the Purchaser. FARO will be responsible for all return shipping costs including insurance.
- FARO will return the hardware via 2 day service within the continental United States.
- Outside the continental United States, FARO will return the hardware to the customs broker via 2 day service.
- Expedited service can be arranged at the customer’s expense.
- All reasonable efforts will be made to keep the service repair time within 7 (FaroArm) or 14 (Laser Tracker and Laser Scanner) working days. The equipment will be returned via 2-Day service; therefore, total service repair time will vary due to return shipping location.
- As the Product may be used with software packages not authored by FARO, this service plan is limited to covering only FARO produced or authored products. For items not produced or authored by FARO, the customer is responsible for securing their own separate warranty or service plan coverage.
Product minus Computer
- All parts and labor for the Product falling under normal use as described in Appendix B.
- Annual compensation and calibration of the Product as necessary
- Intentional Damage
- Wear and tear of probes, SMRs, target tooling and adaptors, ball bars, auxiliary hardware products such as cables, wrenches, hex keys, screwdrivers, etc.
- FARO contracts with 3rd party service providers for this service for up to 3 years. The terms and conditions of FARO’s contract with the provider apply herein and are incorporated herein by reference.
- Typically, these services include repair of the computer, memory cards and video monitors.
- All exclusions contained in the 3rd party service provider’s policy which is incorporated herein by reference.
- Software operating system installation
- User intentional or unintentional removal of key software property or files
- FARO’s warranty may differ depending on the Software you are utilizing. Please consult your software warranty or contact FARO customer service to determine the warranty conditions for your particular software.
- End users are responsible for the procurement and installation of 3rd party authored or software updates as required to use with FARO authored software products, unless FARO resold these packages to the end user as an authorized reseller. Examples of 3rd party authored software are: DOS, Windows, AutoCAD, AutoSurf, SurfCAM and others.
EXTENDED WARRANTY WITH LOANER
The Extended Warranty with Loaner Plans additionally provide loaner equipment when service (and in some cases calibration) is required. All equipment shipping costs are paid for by FARO (both ways) . FARO will make its best efforts to ship all loaner equipment within 24 hours of the receipt of the purchaser’s request. Once the need for a service has been verified by FARO, FARO will make its best effort to ship all loaner computers within 72 hours of the receipt of the purchaser’s request.
 FARO will return the hardware via 2 day service within the continental United States. Outside the continental United States, FARO will return the hardware to the customs broker via 2 day service. Expedited service can be arranged at the customer’s expense.